The second suspect in a mass stabbing spree in Saskatchewan, Canada, that left 10 people dead and 15 injured has died while in police custody, local law enforcement said.
Canadian Assistant Police Commissioner Rhonda Blackmore said Myles Sanderson had gone into medical distress after being arrested and died in hospital on Wednesday afternoon, per The Washington Post.
Sanderson was arrested earlier on Wednesday after a three-day long manhunt.
“Myles Sanderson was located and taken into police custody near Rosthern, [Saskacthewan], at approximately 3:30 p.m. today,” the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement. “There is no longer a risk to public safety relating to this investigation.”
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said they first received a call at 5:40 a.m. on Sunday about a stabbing at the James Smith Cree Nation. Police said there were multiple victims at 13 crime scenes, including in the nearby community of Weldon.
Police identified the two suspects in the mass stabbing spree as brothers Damien Sanderson, 31, and Myles Sanderson, 30.
Damien Sanderson was found dead Monday, and his wounds did not appear to be self-inflicted, The Associated Press reported, citing Regina Police Chief Evan Bray.
Residents in Saskatchewan, Canada, were ordered to shelter in place Tuesday after police received reports Myles Sanderson, who was previously on the run, was spotted at the Indigenous reservation where the violence took place.
RCMP said they believe some victims were targeted at random while others were planned.
In a statement Sunday afternoon, Blackmore said law enforcement had asked residents across Saskatchewan and neighboring provinces to remain vigilant. She also called for the two suspects to turn themselves in to the police.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Sunday night that the attacks were “horrific and heartbreaking.”
“I’m thinking of those who have lost a loved one and of those who were injured,” he said.
In a press release, leaders of the James Smith Cree Nation declared a state of emergency and opened two emergency operation centers to help provide support to community members.
“There’s a lot of grief, there’s a lot of anxiety in our province and in our communities all day today and yesterday,” Bray said.
The United States Navy has publicly revealed the AIM-424 Malice, a next-generation long-range air-to-air missile…
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced retaliatory tariffs against the United States after trade…
Pakistan’s suspected procurement of China’s LD-2000 close-in air defence system could carry implications extending well…
Turkish armoured vehicle manufacturer FNSS has unveiled a new heavy unmanned amphibious combat platform designed…
Annadale Community Garden Group is one of four groups or individuals in the running for…
The United States and South Korea have begun their annual joint military exercises under an…